DIRECTOR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (DIN)
1. What is DIN?
- DIN Stands for DIRECTOR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
- DIN is a unique Director identification number allotted by the Registrar of Companies
- It is an 8-digit unique identification number which has a lifetime validity.
- Legal Provision for issuance of DIN is under Section 153 of the Companies Act 2013& Rule 9 of Companies (Appointment and Qualification of Directors) Rules, 2014.
2. How many DIN number can a Director have?
A Director can have only 1 DIN, which has to be used for all the companies in which he is a director
3. Where is DIN used?
DIN is like an Aadhar card, this number helps RoC identify the director in that company, DIN is used in all forms that are filed with RoC, you cannot file any forms without using your DIN number
4.What is the Procedure for application for allotment of DIN ?
Section 153 & Rule 9 states the following,
(1) Every individual, who is to be appointed as director of a company shall make an application electronically in Form DIR-3 (Application for allotment of Director Identification Number) to the Central Government for the allotment of a Director Identification Number (DIN).
(2) The Central Government shall provide an electronic system to facilitate submission of application for the allotment of DIN through the portal on the website of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
(3) (a) The applicant shall download Form DIR-3 from the portal, fill in the required particulars and attaching photograph; proof of identity; proof of residence; specimen signature duly verified and sign the form digitally.
(b) Form DIR-3 shall be signed and submitted electronically by the applicant using his or her own Digital Signature Certificate and shall be verified digitally by -:
(i) a chartered accountant in practice or a company secretary in practice or a cost accountant in practice; or
(ii) a company secretary in full time employment of the company or by the managing director or director of the company in which the applicant is to be appointed a director;
5. How to apply for DIN and relevant forms?
1. SPICe-32 Form: (Only for First Director din at the time of Company Registration)
Application for allotment of DINs to the proposed first Directors in respect of New companies shall be made the in the SPICe-32 form
2. DIR-3 Form:
Any person intending to become a director in an already existing company shall have to make an application in eForm DIR-3 for allotment of DIN.
3. DIR-6 Form:
Any changes in the particulars of the directors shall be filed in form DIR-6, there are no government fees for DIR 6 the director must state why the change has been a change the DIN , along with documentary proof such new pan card for change of name in PAN , proof of change in address etc.
4. DIR-3 KYC Form :
DIR-3 KYC is a new form where directors have to update annually by 30th April, verifying present address and other KYC
6. Documents to be attached with the forms?
1. For SPICe Form (Only for First Director din at the time of Company Registration)
- PAN CARD
- Address Proof of the applicant
- Aadhar Number
2. Form DIR-3:
1)Photograph,2) Identity proof, 3) Residence proof, 4)Verification (Name, father’s name, present address, date of birth In the case of foreign nationals, its compulsory to submit their passport as an identity proof.
b. Documents to be attested by a CA or CS or CMA
Photograph, identity proof and residence proof must be attested by a Chartered Accountant or a Company Secretary or a Cost Accountant, in whole time practice.
In case of foreign nationals, their documents can be attested by Consulate of the Indian Embassy and Foreign Public Notary.
After uploading DIR-3 and the supporting documents, the applicant will pay the fee in the next window screen. It has to be paid through net banking, credit card or NEFT. Manual(offline) payment is not allowed.
3. Form DIR-6 (Intimation of changes in particulars of Director – Rule 12)
For changing any details mentioned in the DIR-3 form/ SPICe with respect to Directors, then Form DIR-6 has to be submitted online. With the form, the attested supporting document is also required to be submitted.
7. Reasons for Surrendering or canceling the DIN?
The Central government may cancel the DIN due to the following reasons:
The Cancellation/Surrender/Deactivation of DIN is covered under Rule 11 of Companies (Appointment & Qualification of Directors Rules)
1. If a duplicate DIN has been issued to the director
2. DIN was obtained by fraudulent means
3. On the death of the concerned person
4.The person has been declared unsound mind by the court
5.The person has been adjudicated as insolvent
8. WHAT ARE THE FORMS RELATED TO DIN?
Yearly KYC Updation to done within 30th April
|DIR-3||Application for DIN allotment|
|DIR-3C||Intimation of DIN by Company to the Registrar|
|DIR-5||Application for surrendering DIN|
|DIR-6||Application for changing details submitted in DIR-3|
|SPICe ( INC 32)||Application for First Din at the time of incorporation|
In case of any help or assistance in filing DIN (DIRECTOR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER), contact Virtual auditor support team on 9962 260 333/044- 48560333 /mail us [email protected], our team will guide through the entire process and help you comply