Two kings of Professional Tax Registration in Karnataks
- Professional tax (PT) employer registration
- Professional tax (PT) employee registration
Professional Tax Employer Registration
Employer registration is intended for all organisations and businesses. This registration is irrespective of the employees working in the business. The Certificate of Enrollment, as issued by the PT Office, is the certificate of registration. This certificate includes the details of the tax payable by the employer and payment date. Failure to forward the PT within the scheduled time may lead to a fine. The tax slabs are fixed according to the number of employees hired.
Professional Tax Employee Registration
The employer deducts professional tax for the employee. The employers obtain the Certificate of Registration.
Professional Tax Monthly returns
The employers must forward taxes according to the PT slab on behalf of the employees. For employees with a gross monthly salary above INR 15,000, the professional tax is Rs. 200 per month. The employers must pay this on behalf of employees. The filing of returns must be made within 20 days from the month for which the tax is subtracted from the employee’s monthly payments during the past month. Failing to do so may incur a penalty of Rs. 250 for every month.
All businesses and employers with Enrollment Certificate must forward their taxes before the 30th of April every year according to the tax slab. Furthermore, employers with the Enrollment Certificate are obligated to file yearly returns within 60 days of the close of the fiscal year.
Professional Tax Registration Process in Karnataka
The Karnataka Commercial Taxes Department administers an online platform to file returns and pay taxes through the e-PRERANA
. A taxpayer can utilize the online portal for various e-facilities, for instance, filing of returns, e-payment of taxes, filing enrollment application etc. Following are the steps for registering for professional tax:
- Enrolment registration for Professional tax
- printout the enrolment application
- Receiving the enrolment certificate
- Receiving the acknowledgement of enrolment
- Professional tax return filing
Penalties and Due Dates Under Profession Tax Act, 1976
According to rules and regulations in this respect, the following are things that should be taken into account:
- The employers require to pay the yearly taxes that apply to them.
- If you have a certificate of enrollment (EC), you would have to pay the professional tax every year before 30th April, according to rates apply in your cases.
- Employers need to deduct the monthly taxes applicable to the employees and submit it to the government.
- If an employer has a certificate of registration (RC), then the employer requires to file a return within 20 days following the preceding month. This would show the salary and wages that the employer has paid along with the amount of taxes has deducted in this regard.
- If you did not pay the professional tax within the specified time, you would be incurred a penalty of INR 250.
- Employer requires to file an annual tax return within 60 days following the preceding year. This would show the salaries and wages the employer has paid in the past year as well as the taxes the employer has deducted in that year.